As Avery "Sisko" Brooks put it in a very entertaining IBM commercial a few years back:
"It is the year 2000, but where are the flying cars? I was promised flying cars. I don't see any flying cars. Why? Why? Why?"
Ah, the perennial dream of flying cars:
- Ken Wernicke's Aircar seems to no longer be under development.
- The Moller Skycar has been on the way for some time now.
- And now, welcome the AirScooter, which looks to me like a life-size Lego-and-Nerf rendition of an Imperial speeder bike.
- The CarterCopter is more like a personal helicopter than a car, but it sure is fast.
- CBS article about flying cars, complete with video.
Sadly, the Avery Brooks commercial appears to be no longer freely available at adcritic.com; they're a subscription site now. Oh, well. If you didn't see the original ad, you can read Slate's description of the ad, or you can read Daniel Keys Moran's related commentary (and the audio clip on that page starts with the audio of the Avery Brooks line from the commercial).