I had a generally unpleasant day, so here's an assortment of items that cheered me up:
- Darth Vader's blog. For example: "Okay, I admit it. I cut off the kid's hand. Everything went downhill after that." Some of the comments are even better than the blog.
- The Incredible Hulk's blog. (Thanks to Aaron for the Hulk and Vader links.)
- I just encountered Hitherby Dragons for the first time. No way do I have time to read the main story-arc entries, but here are a few non-arc entries:
- Aslan Shrugged: The Wardrobe. Mr. Lewis, meet Ms. Rand.
- The Interpretation of Spam, a short-short about spamomancy. Not a parody of anything in particular (I don't think), but does contain the line "Like in Disney's 'Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath.'" Other favorite line: "The noise dreams of signal."
- Morpheus Explains the Qaballah. Excellent opening line, in particular. Oh—that's Morpheus as in The Matrix, not Morpheus as in Sandman. (Huh; surely someone has written Morpheus vs. Morpheus?)
- I don't know enough about Thomas L. Friedman to have an opinion about him one way or t'other, but I found these entertaining anyway:
- "Flathead: The peculiar genius of Thomas L. Friedman," one of the most entertainingly negative reviews I've seen in a while. The reviewer's complaint mostly boils down to "Friedman is a master of the badly mixed metaphor."
- "The Datsun and the Shoe Tree," an entertaining Friedman parody by "Thomas L. Freetrademan." Sadly, may be offline at the moment, but it was online last night so I'm guessing it'll be back soon.
Most of those last several items came directly or indirectly from Crooked Timber; I came across them because I was searching for [vast cool unsympathetic] and the first couple search results were Crooked Timber pages.