It occurred to me the other day that a fair number of people I know blog occasionally or regularly about their kids and about parenting, and that many of y'all may not know about each other, and might be interested. So here's a partial list. I'm probably leaving people out; feel free to add more links in comments. (Some parents I'm leaving out because they don't blog about parenting or kids much.) Don't worry, someone's absence from this list does not mean I don't like them or their writing or their kids; it's almost certainly just an oversight on my part.
More of y'all would probably follow these links if I were to provide brief capsule descriptions of these folks and their kids and why you should read what they write. But if I were to do that, I'd be here all day, and really all it would boil down to in the end is: they're all worth reading, they all have interesting and/or entertaining things to say about kids and parenting, they're all cool folks.
(Also, this wouldn't be a Jed entry without a further elaborate and probably unnecessary disclaimer, so I should also mention that, like me, a lot of my friends who journal/blog don't have kids. Those folks are also cool folks, and well worth reading. They're just not the topic of this particular entry.)
Swarthmore folks, in no particular order:
- Debby B., mother of Rose (she of the mustache photo from a while back) and David. Sample entries: "Compromise," "Sexism in the Schools," "Sexism at Home."
- Nao, mother of Theo. Sample entries: "State of the Theo," "Aww."
- metasilk, mother of the mutant monkey pirate (that's the LJ tag with all the entries about the boy). Sample entry: "Bigger Monkeys."
Non-Swarthmore folks (mostly writer types, mostly with some connection to SH), in no particular order:
- Sarah P., mother of Maud and Theo (the latter of whom I think shares my birthday). She hasn't been journaling much lately, but when she does she often includes bits about the kids. Sample entries: "The Boob Thing," "Nibbled."
- Karen M., mother of Jeremiah. Sample entries: "Eyeballs Stay on Your Head," "Awesome."
- Haddayr, mother of Arie (who has Tourette syndrome) and Éiden. Sample entries: "Arie's bath," "10 Things About the Boys which are not complaints."
- Naomi K., mother of Molly and Kiera. Sample entries: "Fun With Literacy," "Warning, cute kid quotes ahead."
- Jay L., father of The Child. (The Child has her own LJ account, but doesn't post to it.) Sample entries from Jay's: "Dungeons and Dragons," "Miscellaneous Updatery fights the worms from Tremors." See also his LJ child tag, which lists all the entries about her.
- nj and Morrisa, parents of Miranda, each have their own LJs, but they don't talk much about Miranda in those, so the relevant LJs are mirandatime (text entries) and mirandapod (picture of the day, a feed from the Chez Iguana Gallery pages). Sample entries: "tori amos, eat your heart out," "Most Mirandas." Sample photos: Poppy!, Dancing with Mommy.
- Thida, mother of Special K and Little T (the latter of whom was born with a vascular tumor and developed Kasabach Merritt Syndrome). Sample entry: 22nd May.
- Ben R., father of Aviva and Noah. Sample entries: "Aviva's Mutant Powers, and Egg-Hunting Among the Goyim" (I especially like photo #2 of Aviva showing off her superpowers), "HOWTO Not Undermine Each Other In Front Of The Kids" (including a set of cards for that collectible card game Frantic: The Parenting).
- Liz H., mother of Moomin. (She has a variety of other blogs, but this is the one that has most to do with parenting and such.) Sample entries: "choosing things," "Overheard at the sleepover."
- Barth A., father of Isaiah. Sample entries: 14 March, 4 April.