Excellent open letter to Pixar from Linda Holmes, asking for a movie featuring a girl who is not a princess.
And, even better, binsybaby suggests some titles for cool ladies movies such as:
- Sisterhood of the Traveling MONSTER TRUCK ON FIRE [Infernokrusher ftw!]
- What a Girl Wants IS BASE JUMPING LESSONS
- [And my favorite:] Bridget Jones's Diary OF COMPLEX TIME MACHINE BLUEPRINTS
There are a whole bunch of comments providing other titles along the same lines. Very nicely done. Further suggestions welcome!
Added later: I can't resist mentioning a couple of my favorites from the comments:
- The Little Mermaid GOES SPEARFISHING (andy_longwood)
- Pride and Prejudice AND BORDER NEGOTIATIONS (andy_longwood)
- Freaky Friday WHEN MY MUTANT POWERS KICKED IN AND I STARTED AN ALL-GIRL TEAM OF SUPERLADIES (andy_longwood)
- While You Were Sleeping SHE PAINTED THE KITCHEN, CURED AIDS, INVENTED TIME TRAVEL AND RAN FOR PRESIDENT (scaram0uche)
- Love Actually ISN'T MY TOP PRIORITY AT THE MOMENT AND I WOULD RATHER FINISH NINJA COLLEGE AND GET A CAREER IN ASSKICKING BEFORE THINKING ABOUT SETTLING INTO ANY KIND OF RELATIONSHIP (doxinator)
- Rapunzel WASHES THAT MAN RIGHT OUT OF HER HAIR (carrieaki)
(I suppose at this juncture I should link to the new GirlyCon website, about "girl canon": "Celebrations of girls' books, and critiques of how they treat gender, race, class, and other issues.")