Mary Anne posted a link earlier to an awesome and charming and funny and sweet and thoroughly lovely 12-page comics story about a woman, May, taking her girlfriend Molly home to meet her family for the first time.
(Although it's hard to read pages 2-5 because they're so tiny, and because of the terrible Tumblr UI that doesn't let you make them much bigger. I ended up copying individual image URLs and pasting them into a new browser window where I could enlarge the images.)
I got curious and looked around, and learned that the comic is called Supercakes, and it's written and drawn by Kat Leyh, and published in brief stories every few months on Tumblr. I recommend starting with the abovelinked story even though it's not the first one, but after you've read that, here are some more links:
- The first 8-page story, “Pancakes.” (September 2012)
- You can buy “Pancakes” in paper form from Yeti Press.
- An article about the comic from October 2013.
- A three-page piece, “Family,” showing a little about May's and Molly's families. (September 2012)
- A three-page story about May as a kid learning martial arts from her father. (March 2013)
- For completeness, here's another link to the abovementioned 12-page story, which turns out to be called “Welcome to the Family”. (July 2013)
- A very brief pencils-only epilogue to “Welcome to the Family.” (September 2013)
- Everything tagged “supercakes” from Leyh's Tumblr.
...And btw, Leyh mentioned in passing in a post yesterday that she's working on getting these into a form that's more readable than Tumblr.