(Last modified 11 March 1997.)
Here are some relevant quotations:
- "Goodbye to my stepstone, goodbye to my home;
God bless the ones that I leave with a sigh;
Fields will be whitening, and I will be gone,
To ramble this wide world alone."
- "Stepstone," as performed by the Short Sisters
- "Some say life's a journey, a highway from birth to death,
Mapped in despair, and traveled in hopelessness;
Well, they may believe it, but just between you and me,
The trick to the traveling is all in the company."
- "It's a Pleasure to Know You," as performed by the Short Sisters
- "From quiet homes and first beginning
Out to the undiscovered ends
There's nothing worth the wear of winning
But laughter and the love of friends."
- Hilaire Belloc
- "Peculiar travel suggestions are dancing lessons from God."
- Bokonon, in Vonnegut's Cat's
- "I wonder, when a writer's blocked and doesn't have any resources to pull
himself out of it, why doesn't he jump in his car and drive around the
U.S.A.? I went last winter for 7000 miles and it was lovely.... You pack
along a bunch of stomach remedies and a bottle of whiskey."
- Jim Harrison
Jed Hartman <email@example.com>