Joe Robins provides a pointer to another archive of misheard lyrics that I hadn't previously known about. It includes entertaining stories about how the submitters found out they were wrong.
I forgot to mention some other items I misheard for years:
- Where the wild mountain Ty rose around the blue wind Heather...
- Really: Where the wild mountain thyme grows around the blooming heather...
- ("Wild Mountain Thyme" as performed by the Clancy Brothers)
- Where the white man does as he pleases, as he walks to the guillotine.
- Really: Where the white man does as he pleases, as he wants to, as he pleases.
- Nanci Griffith, "Deadwood, South Dakota"
- Ana Ng and I argue and all, but...
- Really: Ana Ng and I are getting old, but...
- They Might Be Giants, "Ana Ng"
Craig Kasper checks in with an intentional Mondegreen:
Used all my stand-in's cologne
Now he's not reading my part
Now he's got one of his own.
I guess it's more a parody or filk than a Mondegreen, but it's close enough to the original to be Mondegreenish, and I thought it was entertaining enough to mention.
(Last updated: 10 January 1999)