I think (judging by the MW11 definition) that "strake" is the generic term for any strip or band of hull planking (or plating) on a boat or ship. Hard to be sure, though, from the Wikipedia entry, which goes into a great deal of detail about how many different kinds of strakes there are without ever actually saying what a strake is used for or why you would have on one a boat.

(I've posted a note on the discussion page there pointing out that the current phrasing suggests to me that a strake is an extra piece attached to the outside of the hull, rather than a term for a piece of the hull itself; with luck, someone who knows the word will come along and clarify the phrasing.)

I encountered the term in a submitted story.

Join the Conversation