According to my dictionary (MW11), a bascule is “an apparatus or structure (such as a drawbridge) in which one end is counterbalanced by the other.”

Apparently it’s from a French word for seesaw.

One Response to “bascule”

  1. KTO

    …is there an article on the various names for that particular piece of playground equipment, or playground equipment in general? (Maybe that’s another one of those “hint hint you could write about this here, Kat!” things.)


Join the Conversation