Seems like there's been a whole bunch of other news and quasinews and other items of interest lately. Some notes:
- The final Harry Potter book's title has been released: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.
- There's going to be a new Buffy comic, which Joss Whedon says will be sort of like an eighth season of the TV show.
- I'm pleased to report that the California state Assembly has a sense of humor, as evidenced by California Assembly Bill HR 36 Relative to Pluto's planetary status. Apparently this used to be on the state government's website, but it's been taken down, presumably because the bill didn't pass? Not sure. "WHEREAS, The mean-spirited International Astronomical Union decided on August 24, 2006, to disrespect Pluto by stripping Pluto of its planetary status and reclassifying it as a lowly dwarf planet[....]" And so on; worth reading the whole thing.
- Speaking of state legislatures, I imagine that everyone who cares has heard by now that New Jersey now legally allows same-sex civil unions. Opinion on all sides is divided; anti-same-sex-marriage people say this goes too far, while pro-same-sex-marriage people say it doesn't go far enough.
- Also, the California Supreme Court has agreed to address the same-sex marriage issue, but hasn't set a date (as it were). (Another article speculates that there likely won't be a decision 'til around the end of next year.)
- I've been following the news of space shuttle Discovery's current mission, but haven't gotten around to posting about it 'til now. It's cleared for landing on Friday; I'll keep my fingers (metaphorically) crossed for a safe return trip.
- A Komodo dragon has exhibited parthenogenesis--something that's been known to happen with other lizards, but we didn't previously know Komodo dragons could do it. (Article notes: "Scientists say it is truly immaculate." I suppose it would be pointless for me to once again point out that the Immaculate Conception was the conception of Mary, not the virgin birth.)
- The winter solstice appears to have happened right on schedule this afternoon, but I wasn't paying attention. I was reading a submission at the time.