Over the past few months, I've been gathering together books that I want to give away (with a great deal of aid from Kathleen), and now I have a full list of the mass-market paperbacks that I'm giving away. There are about 250 of them, so I'm going to post them in batches of about 20 to 40 books at a time so as not to be overwhelming. In each post, I'll list the titles and authors for that batch, and show a photo of the books. The books are roughly in alphabetical order by author's family name, although there's some variation due to the imperfect alphabetizing scheme of my cataloguing software.
If you want any of these books, let me know. It'll be more or less first come, first served, although I may give preference to (a) local people, and/or (b) people who want multiple books. If you have questions about any of them, let me know.
Most of the books I'm giving away belonged to my father, which means that a fair number of them have some minor soot damage on the spine and/or page edges (though Kathleen has removed most of the soot from most of them). Aside from that, most of the books are in reasonably good shape, and all of them are in readable condition. Nearly 90% of them, alas, are by men; my father owned very few books by women.
After I'm done with the mass-market paperbacks, I'll post trade paperbacks and hardcovers, but I need to finish sorting those first.
Today's batch: Kōbō Abe through Karel Capek. A third of this batch are issues of Destinies, the “paperback magazine” that Jim Baen edited in the '70s and '80s (but this is not a complete set of that series).
To view a higher-resolution version of the book covers, click the photo. I accidentally put the last row of books in the photo in reverse alphabetical order; sorry about that.
Here's today's list. A line through a book means it's been claimed.
- Kōbō Abe: The Woman in the Dunes
Pauline J Alama: The Eye of Night
- Poul Anderson: Homeward and Beyond
- Isaac Asimov, ed.: Flying Saucers
- James Baen, ed.: Destinies, Nov.-Dec. '78, Vol. 1, No. 1
- James Baen, ed.: Destinies, Jan.-Feb. '79, Vol. 1, No. 2
- James Baen, ed.: Destinies, Apr.-Jun. '79, Vol. 1, No. 3
- James Baen, ed.: Destinies, Oct.-Dec. '79, Vol. 1, No. 5
- James Baen, ed.: Destinies, Oct.-Dec. '79, Vol. 1, No. 5 (copy 2)
- James Baen, ed.: Destinies, Spring 1980, Vol. 2, No. 2
- James Baen, ed.: Destinies, Summer 1980, Vol. 2, No. 3
- James Baen, ed.: Destinies, Summer 1980, Vol. 2, No. 3 (copy 2)
- James Baen, ed.: Destinies, Winter 1981, Vol. 3, No. 1
- Jim Baen, ed.: New Destinies, Volume 4
- Jim Baen, ed.: New Destinies, Volume 7
- Gregory Benford: Great Sky River
James Blish: Galactic Cluster James Blish: The Star Dwellers Robert Bloch: The Best of Robert Bloch
- Ben Bova: As on a Darkling Plain
- Marion Zimmer Bradley and Deborah J. Ross: The Children of Kings
- Reginald Bretnor, ed: Science Fiction Today and Tomorrow: A Discursive Symposium
John Brunner: Players at the Game of People John Brunner: Wear the Butchers' Medal
- John Buchan: Witch Wood
Samuel Butler: The Way of All Flesh
- L. Sprague de Camp: The Continent Makers
- John W. Campbell: Analog 6
Karel Capek: War with the Newts