Books! Free to a good home. Let me know if you want any of these.
Also some VHS tapes. (At the end of this post.)
This list contains a bunch more items than the previous list I posted (back in November). About 375 items here (minus however many have been claimed since I posted this). (Update: as of the evening of 24 July, there are about 230 items left on the list.) (Update: as of 31 July, there are about 170 items left on the list.)
Almost everything here has spent at least a month in my Little Free Library, so don’t worry that you would be taking something away from someone else who might want it. These items more than fill an entire bookcase in my house, so you would be doing me a favor by taking them off my hands.
I’ll edit this post to remove items as they’re claimed.
Provenance and recommendations
Some of the items here were my father’s; some were donated to my Little Free Library; some are books that Kam is giving away; some are books or other items that I no longer want, or that I have duplicates of.
The only ones that I can personally recommend (in the sense of saying that I like them) are the few that I’m only giving away because I have a duplicate. About half of the books on this list are books that I haven’t read and that I know nothing about; and of the ones that I have read or (more often) skimmed or glanced over in passing, I didn’t like most of them enough to keep them. (But you may love them! Different people have different tastes.)
So I’m sorry to say that I can’t give recommendations.
Alphabetical by author’s or editor’s last name (or by relevant magazine title). Separated into groups for ease of scanning.
“MMPB” means “mass market paperback.” Most of the books on the list are in fair to good condition, but some have soot-damaged covers. If you want more info about anything here, just ask.
Links to ISFDB aren’t necessarily to the right edition; cover art for these books may be very different from what ISFDB shows.
For unlinked works, in some cases I’ve added a genre label. But most of those are guesses based on very little information; I could be wrong about them.
Note: Some of the book titles listed here are marginally NSFW. I’ve rot-13ed those titles. Some of the content of some of the books is also NSFW, but I mostly haven’t marked those books.
- The Dancer from Atlantis, by Poul Anderson (Hardcover)
- Flowers in the Attic, by V. C. Andrews (MMPB)
- The Devil’s Other Storybook, by Natalie Babbitt (Trade Paperback)
- The X-President, by Philip E. Baruth (Trade Paperback)
- Advance Reading Copy.
- Great Sky River, by Gregory Benford (Hardcover)
- Galactic Center Saga series, #3.
- This Is a Soul: The Mission of Rick Hodes, by Marilyn Berger (Hardcover)
- Beyond (MMPB)
- Reprinting stories from Beyond Fantasy Fiction. Bradbury, Pohl, Fredric Brown, Sturgeon, et al.
- Fair-Weather Friends, by ReShonda Tate Billingsley (Trade Paperback)
- Good Girlz series, #5.
- Evening Class, by Maeve Binchy (MMPB)
- The Princess and the Captain, by Anne-Laure Bondoux (Trade Paperback)
- The Starcrossed, by Ben Bova (MMPB)
- Wuthering Heights, by Emily Brontë (Trade Paperback)
- MacPerl: Power and Ease, by Vicki Brown and Chris Nandor (Trade Paperback)
- Undercurrents, by Stella Cameron (MMPB)
- Napalm & Silly Putty, by George Carlin (Hardcover)
- New Writings in SF 6, ed. John Carnell (MMPB)
- Skeen’s Leap, by Jo Clayton (MMPB)
- Deadly Image, by Edmund Cooper (MMPB)
- The Middle Place, by Kelly Corrigan (Trade Paperback)
- The Countryman, Spring 1984 (Trade Paperback)
- Lords of the Line: The Men Who Built the Canadian Pacific Railroad, by David Cruise and Alison Griffiths (Trade Paperback)
- The Moon and More, by Sarah Dessen (Hardcover)
- Destinies: The Paperback Magazine of Science Fiction and Speculative Fact, Summer 1980, Vol. 2, No. 3 (MMPB)
- Barnes/Niven, et al.
- Counterfeit Unrealities, by Philip K. Dick (Hardcover)
- The Zap Gun, by Philip K. Dick (Trade Paperback)
- The Speckled Band (Easy Reader), by Arthur Conan Doyle (MMPB)
- House of Sand and Fog, by Andre Dubus III (Trade Paperback)
- The Monk of Mokha, by Dave Eggers (Hardcover)
- Pinky Pye, by Eleanor Estes (Trade Paperback)
- The Ear, the Eye, and the Arm, by Nancy Farmer (MMPB)
- The Night People, by Jack Finney (Hardcover)
- A Natural History of Frk, by Adrian Forsyth (Hardcover)
- Bring the Rain: A Novel, by JoAnn Franklin (Trade Paperback)
- In Conquest Born, by C. S. Friedman (MMPB)
- Essential Gaudí, by Daniel Giralt-Miracle (Trade Paperback)
- After Things Fell Apart, by Ron Goulart (MMPB)
- L is for Lawless, by Sue Grafton (Hardcover)
- Kinsey Millhone Alphabet mystery series, #12.
- M is for Malice, by Sue Grafton (Hardcover)
- Kinsey Millhone Alphabet mystery series, #13.
- Saraband of Lost Time, by Richard S. Grant (MMPB)
- A Fistful of Shells: West Africa from the rise of the slave trade to the age of revolution, by Toby Green (Hardcover)
- A Friend Is Someone, by Suzanne Grenell (Trade Paperback)
- Enjoy the Hummingbirds, by Oliver Griswold (Chapbook)
- Snow Falling on Cedars, by David Guterson (Trade Paperback)
- Infinite Dreams, by Joe Haldeman (Hardcover)
- There Is No Darkness, by Joe Haldeman and Jack C. Haldeman II (MMPB)
- The Star Kings, by Edmond Hamilton (MMPB)
- Best SF: 1968, ed. Harry Harrison and Brian W. Aldiss (MMPB)
- Sheckley, Asimov, Kit Reed, Lieber, et al.
- Best SF: 1971, ed. Harry Harrison and Brian W. Aldiss (MMPB)
- Sheckley, Clarke, Barthelme, Disch, Blish, Aldiss, Spinrad, et al.
- Memoir from Antproof Case: A Novel, by Mark Helprin (Hardcover)
- Child’s Play, by Reginald Hill (MMPB)
- Code of the Lifemaker, by James P. Hogan (MMPB)
- Expecting Someone Taller, by Tom Holt (MMPB)
- The Next Mrs. Blackthorne, by Joan Johnston (Hardcover)
- Bitter Creek (romance/mystery?) series, #6.
- Fires of the Past: Thirteen Contemporary Fantasies About Hometowns, by Anne Devereaux Jordan (Hardcover)
- Invitation to FORTH, by Harry Katzan (Hardcover)
- About the FORTH programming language.
- Pigs in Heaven, by Barbara Kingsolver (Hardcover)
- The Poisonwood Bible, by Barbara Kingsolver (Trade Paperback) (copy 1)
- The Poisonwood Bible, by Barbara Kingsolver (MMPB) (copy 2)
- Prodigal Summer: Large print edition, by Barbara Kingsolver (Trade Paperback)
- Satan’s Angels Exposed, by Salem Kirban (Trade Paperback)
- Forever Odd: An Odd Thomas Novel, by Dean R. Koontz (MMPB)
- Vectors, by Michael P. Kube-Mcdowell (MMPB)
- To Light a Candle, by Mercedes Lackey and James Mallory (Trade Paperback)
- The Obsidian Trilogy, #2.
- When Darkness Falls, by Mercedes Lackey and James Mallory (Trade Paperback)
- The Obsidian Trilogy, #3.
- The House in November, by Keith Laumer (MMPB)
- The House in November and The Other Sky, by Keith Laumer (MMPB)
- The Invaders, by Keith Laumer (MMPB)
- Delusion’s Master, by Tanith Lee (MMPB)
- On the Intelligentsia, by V. I. Lenin (MMPB)
- Bandits, by Elmore Leonard (Hardcover)
- Sadly unrelated to the movie of the same title.
- Die in Plain Sight, by Elizabeth Lowell (MMPB)
- Rarities Unlimited (romance/mystery?) series, #3.
- A Summer to Die, by Lois Lowry (MMPB)
- Jedi Eclipse, by James Luceno (MMPB)
- Star Wars: The New Jedi Order series, #5.
- Other Times, Other Worlds, by John D. MacDonald (MMPB)
- Sf stories by the author of the Travis McGee mysteries.
- The Light Ages, by Ian R. MacLeod (MMPB)
- Marry Me at Christmas, by Susan Mallery (MMPB)
- Fool's Gold series.
- The Dog Who Couldn’t Stop Loving: How dogs have captured our hearts for thousands of years, by J. Moussaieff Masson (Trade Paperback)
- Jack the Bodiless, by Julian May (Hardcover)
- Galactic Milieu Trilogy, #1.
- Acorna’s World, by Anne McCaffrey and Elizabeth Ann Scarborough (MMPB)
- Angela’s Ashes: A Memoir, by Frank McCourt (Trade Paperback)
- The Baby Tree, by Erin McGraw (Trade Paperback)
- Sold on a Monday, by Kristina McMorris (Trade Paperback)
- Historical fiction.
- Black Spring, by Henry Miller (Hardcover)
- Easy Travel to Other Planets, by Ted Mooney (MMPB)
- The Borzoi College Reader, ed. Charles Muscatine and Melanie Griffith (Hardcover)
- Charlie Bone and the Time Twister, by Jenny Nimmo (Trade Paperback)
- Galactic Derelict, by Andre Norton (MMPB)
- Time Traders series, #2.
- High Sorcery, by Andre Norton (MMPB)
- Perilous Dreams, by Andre Norton (MMPB)
- The Norton Anthology of Poetry Revised Shorter Edition (Trade Paperback)
- Murder in Ordinary Time, by Carol Anne O’Marie (MMPB)
- Brunswick Gardens, by Anne Perry (MMPB)
- Charlotte & Thomas Pitt historical mystery series, #18.
- Fortune’s Hand, by Belva Plain (MMPB)
- The Annals of the Heechee, by Frederik Pohl (Hardcover)
- Assignment in Tomorrow, ed. Frederik Pohl (MMPB)
- Sturgeon, Kornbluth, Bradbury, del Rey, Bester, Vonnegut, Jack Williamson, Fredric Brown, Farmer, et al. Book is in poor condition, but readable.
- Basics, by Tom Powell (Small Paperback)
- The Well of the Unicorn, by Fletcher Pratt (MMPB)
- The Wheel of Darkness, by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child (MMPB)
- Special Agent Pendergast thriller series, #8.
- The Discovery of the Orgone: The Function of the Betnfz, by Wilhelm Reich (Trade Paperback)
- Selected Writings: An introduction to orgonomy, by Wilhelm Reich (Trade Paperback)
- Frk-cby, by Wilhelm Reich (MMPB)
- Bare Bones, by Kathy Reichs (MMPB)
- Temperance Brennan (forensic anthropologist) series, #6.
- Suite 606, by J.D. Robb, Ruth Ryan Langan, Mary Blayney, and Mary Kay Mccomas (MMPB)
- Paranormal romance/suspense, maybe? In Death series.
- Winning 42: Strategy & Lore of the National Game of Texas, by Dennis Roberson (Trade Paperback)
- Swiftly, by Adam Roberts (Hardcover)
- The Memory of Whiteness, by Kim Stanley Robinson (MMPB)
- Late Night VRML 2.0 with Java, by Bernie Roehl, Justin Couch, Cindy Reed-Ballreich, Tim Rohaly, and Geoff Brown (Trade Paperback)
- Bound by Desire, by Rosemary Rogers (MMPB)
- Giants in the Earth, by O.E. Rolvaag (MMPB)
- Skippyjon Jones ¡Ay Card-Ramba!, by Judy Schachner (Trade Paperback)
- On the one hand, cute brief picture-book story with some bits in Spanish. On the other hand, the whole premise of this series (English-speaking Siamese cat likes to pretend that he’s a Mexican chihuahua and say things in mock-Spanish) is racist and appropriative.
- The Great Turning: Personal Peace, Global Victory, by Craig Schindler (Trade Paperback)
- Out of My Life and Thought: An Autobiography, by Albert Schweitzer (Trade Paperback)
- This Loving Torment, by Valerie Sherwood (MMPB)
- Historical romance.
- City Come A-Walkin’, by John Shirley (MMPB)
- Sweetheart, Indiana, by Suzanne Simmons (MMPB)
- Major Pettigrew’s Last Stand, by Helen Simonson (Trade Paperback)
- Skylark Three, by E. E. “Doc” Smith (MMPB)
- Skylark series, #2.
- Skylark of Valeron, by E. E. “Doc” Smith (MMPB)
- Skylark series, #3.
- Skylark DuQuesne, by E. E. “Doc” Smith (MMPB)
- Skylark series, #4.
- The Red Hat Club, by Haywood Smith (MMPB)
- See Me, by Nicholas Sparks (MMPB)
- November of the Heart, by Lavyrle Spencer (Hardcover)
- Historical romance.
- Child of Fortune, by Norman Spinrad (Hardcover)
- Astoria: Astor and Jefferson’s lost Pacific empire: a tale of ambition and survival on the early American frontier, by Peter Stark (Trade Paperback)
- Nonfiction/“true adventure.”
- The Warlock in Spite of Himself, by Christopher Stasheff (MMPB)
- Chang and Eng, by Darin Strauss (Trade Paperback)
- Moondust, by Thomas Burnett Swan (MMPB)
- Grass, by Sheri S. Tepper (MMPB)
- The Steps of the Sun, by Walter Tevis (MMPB)
- Tevis is best known as the author of the novel The Man Who Fell to Earth.
- Policeman Mike’s Brass Buttons, by Ruth Tooze (Hardcover Picture Book)
- Venus on the Half-Shell, by “Kilgore Trout” (Philip José Farmer) (MMPB)
- The Unknown Five (MMPB)
- Reprinting stories from Unknown Worlds. Asimov, Sturgeon, Bester, et al.
- Players of Null-A, by A. E. Van Vogt (MMPB)
- Worlds in Collision, by Immanuel Velikovsky (Trade Paperback)
- Lincoln: A Novel, by Gore Vidal (Hardcover)
- Vox Compact Spanish and English Dictionary, by Vox (Trade Paperback)
- The Dying Season, by Martin Walker (Trade Paperback)
- Bruno, Chief of Police/The Dordogne Mysteries series, #8. (Apparently the same book was also published under the title The Patriarch.)
- A Rumor of Dragons, by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman (Trade Paperback)
- Sarah’s War, by Eugenia Lovett West (Trade Paperback)
- Historical fiction.
- One of Us Is Wrong, by Donald E. Westlake (Trade Paperback)
- Sam Holt series, #1.
- I Know a Trick Worth Two of That, by Donald E. Westlake (Trade Paperback)
- Sam Holt series, #2.
- Wilhelm Reich in Hell, by Robert Anton Wilson (Trade Paperback)
- Castleview, by Gene Wolfe (MMPB)
- Nightside the Long Sun, by Gene Wolfe (MMPB)
- Book of the Long Sun series, #1.
- The End of the World, ed. Donald A. Wollheim (MMPB)
- Heinlein, Dick, Clarke, et al.
- Elvissey, by Jack Womack (MMPB)
- The Bomb Vessel, by Richard Woodman (Trade Paperback)
- Nathaniel Drinkwater series, #4. (Napoleonic Wars.)
- The Corvette, by Richard Woodman (Trade Paperback)
- Nathaniel Drinkwater series, #5. (Napoleonic Wars.)
- 1805, by Richard Woodman (Trade Paperback)
- Nathaniel Drinkwater series, #6. (Napoleonic Wars.)
- Shoot First, by Stuart Woods (MMPB)
- Tomorrow!, by Philip Wylie (MMPB)
- Chocky, by John Wyndham (MMPB)
- Author better known for The Day of the Triffids.
- Waging Heavy Peace, by Neil Young (Hardcover)
- Neil Young’s autobiography.
(All of the DVDs have been claimed.)
- Watership Down (1978) Blu-ray (REGION B!!!)
- Note: This Blu-ray WILL NOT PLAY in standard US Region A Blu-ray players. It will presumably play in Region B players or regionless players.
I like all of these, but can no longer play them, and I’ve upgraded to DVDs and Blu-rays for most of them.
- Cutthroat Island
- The English Patient
- Four Weddings and a Funeral
- In & Out
- My Best Friend’s Wedding
- My Fair Lady
- Singin’ in the Rain