Family letters: November 1974–September 1975
And now I’ve fallen even further behind in posting links to family-history letters. Here’s a catchup post through the end of 1975; I’ll do another one for 1976-so-far.
Things included below: Some art, assorted life updates, a major change to the foster home, two more moves, and the first letter written by Jay.
- November 26, 1974
- A general life update from Peter, plus some poems written by Meishu-sama.
- “Events proceed here at their usual dizzing pace (that was supposed to be dizzying—anyway, things are whizzing)”
- Date unknown
- A construction-paper collage that I made sometime between 1973 and 1977, titled “Day & Night.”
- December 6, 1974
- In which two foster kids leave, and we are suddenly in desperate need of money again, so we prepare to move.
- “We're thinking very seriously about going in with about 8 other people to buy a 100-acre ranch in Mendocino county, we'd get 10 or 12 kids at $800-$1000 per each per month, and set up a survival community, schoolhouse, etc.”
- January 15, 1975
- A placeholder note to let George and Helen know we haven’t forgotten them.
- “the germs & the realtors have a conspiracy to keep us from mailing our New Years Presents (we already gave up on Christmas) till Easter”
- January 23, 1975
- Another thank-you-plus-life-updates letter, in which we’re preparing to sell the house and move on to the next adventure.
- “We are very sorry to be so unconscionably late in sending our gifts to you—especially since we had finished making them by 12/20 or so, but have been as busy as a gaggle of whirligigs, mostly running around in circles...”
- March 7, 1975
- In which the kids get German measles and (unrelatedly) the parents sell the house.
- “He made a lovely potato head yesterday, all by himself, then gave it to Peter to eat for breakfast.”
- March 10, 1975
- The first letter in Jay’s handwriting!
- July 29, 1975
- Jay lets George and Helen know that he has made up some recipes, though he doesn’t include those recipes in the letter.
- August 12, 1975
- Marcy congratulates George and Helen on their new (beach?) house, and catches them up on some bits of news.
- September 15, 1975
- In which we move again, and our dog gets spayed.